Difference Between PCOS and PCOD

PCOS and PCOD symptoms

PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and PCOD or Polycystic Ovarian Disease are both confused to be the same disease by most people. The main reason for this mix-up is that both the diseases show the same symptoms and are related to the ovaries.

For a woman the ovaries are one of the most important organ in her reproductive system. There are two ovaries in every female that are responsible for the production of female hormones. Every month the ovaries release an egg in the uterus but sometimes there are two eggs released. Besides the production of female hormone which is known as estrogen the ovaries also have the responsibility of producing male reproductive hormone or androgen or testosterone in a limited way.

When there is a hormonal imbalance in the ovaries women can have PCOD and PCOS.

There is a very thin line of difference between the two conditions. Since the cause of both the conditions is hormonal imbalance people confuse it to be the same. Doctors say that a female suffering from PCOS may have completely different problems than a female who has PCOD.

Let us try and understand the difference between these two conditions. Here is a detailed explanation of PCOS and PCOD.

What is PCOS ?

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a condition which is considered as more severe than PCOD. There may be 12 or more follicular cysts formed every month in each ovary. The ovaries tend to secrete high levels of androgen. The level of hormonal imbalance is very high. Even the ovum is not released from the ovary which causes anovulation. This however, is not something that happens every month or else that would be considered as menopause. When anovulation happens women don’t menstruate. Females will have irregular periods and will be unable to conceive. They will also tend to have excessive weight gain. They will also suffer from excessive hair loss. Females with PCOS need to work on their hormonal imbalances. In order to conceive they need to regularise their hormones so that their ovaries become healthy and begin to release the ovum. The problem in PCOS is not just production of ovum but increased production of androgen. This makes the situation complicated and quite difficult for females to cure this condition.

What is PCOD ?

Polycystic Ovarian Disease or PCOD is a condition when the ovary is unable to eject the immature eggs and they turn into cysts. Small follicular cysts are formed within the ovaries. Some of the leading symptoms of PCOD are irregular periods, obesity in the abdominal area, unhealthy food stress and hormonal imbalance. The ovaries in females suffering with PCOD become enlarged. They produce too much androgen or the male hormone compared to the estrogen which is the female hormone. PCOD can be detected in an ultrasound. One of the major differences between PCOD and PCOS is that women suffering with PCOD need not necessarily be infertile. More than 80% women can have a healthy pregnancy with some help which isn’t the case in PCOS. The remaining 20% who don’t conceive is because they are obese.

In the scale of severity PCOD is less while PCOS is more. Both diseases are majorly a cause of lifestyle. Unhealthy living is what mostly leads to hormonal imbalances which then cause such conditions. However, if detected on time both can be treated and the condition can be cured. Women usually discover about their condition when they are unable to conceive or have irregular menstruation.

Treatment from an expert homeopathic doctor will help in the quick recovery of this disease and women may be able to conceive.