An individual is said to be constipated if he or she has less than three bowel movements in a week. Those having less than one bowel in a week are considered to be severely constipated. Infrequent bowel movements or having difficulty to pass stool continuously can be termed as constipation. Individuals may experience constipation occasionally which is not something to worry about but those who experience constipation regularly would have problems in their daily routine.
The more time passes without passing stool, the harder the poop becomes. When the stool is hard it becomes quite difficult to pass the faeces. The process of passing stool becomes a painful one.
Constipation is not something that should be over-looked. Homeopathy has been considered to be quite helpful in treating constipation. A good homeopathic doctor should be approached for best treatment.
Causes of Constipation
Constipation can be caused by different reasons:
- 3 Neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, stroke, Parkinson’s, spinal cord injury and autonomic neuropathy can affect the nerves which work to contract the rectum and colon muscles so the stool can move easily through the intestine.
- 1 Conditions such as diabetes, pregnancy, hyperthyroid and hyperparathyroidism disrupt the hormonal balance of the fluids in your body which cause constipation.
- 2 Any type of blockages in the rectum or colon can also cause constipation. Some causes are rectal cancer, colon cancer, anal fissure, bowel stricture, rectocele, bowel obstruction and cancer in the abdomen which puts pressure on the colon.
- There are several medications that can cause constipation. Drugs like narcotic medicines, oxycodone, codeine and hydromorphone. Then there are the anti-depressants like amitriptyline and imipramine. Some anticonvulsants also could be the culprit in causing constipation like phenytoin and carbamazepine. Iron supplements and some calcium channel blocking drugs also cause constipation.
- Even excessive use of laxatives can cause constipation.
Symptoms of Constipation
Some of the symptoms of constipation are:
- Small and hard faeces
- Passing lesser than three stools in a week
- Anal bleeding or fissures caused because of hard faeces
- Infrequent bowel movements
- Bloating of abdomen or swelling, discomfort in the lower abdomen
- The obstruction of colon because of the hard stool causes occasional diarrhoea
- Having a feeling as if you cannot completely empty your stool
- Having to strain too much when you go to pass stool
Homeopathy for Constipation
Opium and ChelidoniumMajus –
This homeopathic medicine is best suited for those suffering with hard and dry stool which will often be in the shape of ball. This is also suited for people who have been taking laxatives to clear their stool.
Ratanhia and Nirtric Acid –
If the person suffers with bleeding while passing stool then they should be treated with Nitric Acid. The pain felt while they pass the stool will be cutting or tearing. For those who suffer with anal fissure, constriction at the anus and have burning pain sensation then Ratanhia should be used.
This is one of the best medicines for those who don’t feel like passing stool for several days. Patients who feel like straining too much to pass stool even when their stool is soft should be given Alumina. Kids, infants and elderly people are usually given this medicine.
Bryonia Alba –
For those who suffer with dry and hard stool which is in lumps should be given Bryonia Alba. They will face too much difficulty while passing the stool and will have burning sensation. Some many even suffer with headache when they are constipated, Bryonia Alba is something which will help them heal.
Consult Homeopathic Doctor for homeopathic medicines or treatment for constipation once you noticed symptoms which are mentioned above.